Sunday, March 12, 2006

The List (so far)

Well, here's the list at this point. Keep an eye on this post, because I'll update it as I get more suggestions. I still need fifteen more books, so anyone who hasn't recommend a book, PLEASE recommend one or two. This list is no particular order, because I'll probably read what sounds good at the time. When I post my review of a book I'll let you know what I've chosen to read next. Oh, and in case you didn't figure out, the green name in parenthesis is the person who recommended that book, and the ones that are crossed out are the books I've read.

1. A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving (Myself)
2. Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (Mom)
3. The Timepiece by Richard Paul Evans (Leslie)
4. The Giver by Lois Lowry
(Katie Michelle)
5. Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry
(Katie Michelle)
6. Messenger by Lois Lowry
(Katie Michelle)
7. Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
(Booklogged)
8. I Heard the Owl Call My Name by Margaret Craven
(Grandma)
9. Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland (Booklogged)
10. Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom (Booklogged)
11. Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz (Booklogged)
12. Kitchen Table Wisdom by
Rachel Naomi Remen (Candleman)
13. My Grandfather's Blessing by Rachel Naomi Remen (Candleman)
14. The Island at the Center of the World by Russel Shorto (Shaneen)
15. Holes by Louis Sacher (A Reader's Journal)
16. The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo (A Reader's Journal)
17. Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger (Ben)
18. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (Cassie)
19. Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (Julie)
20. The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger (Myself)
21. Bridget Jones's Diary: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (Angie B.)
22. The Chosen by Chaim Potok (Cardine's sister)
23. In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner (Rachel)
24. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (Janelle)
25. The King of Torts by John Grisham (Myself)
26. A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (Myself)
27. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (Myself)
28. The Little Country by Charles de Lint (Shaneen)
29. Memoirs of a Geisha byArthur Golden (Cassie)
30. The Painted House by John Grisham (Angie B.)
31. Peppertide by Jack Weyland (Myself)
32. Forever Odd by Dean Koontz (Myself)
33. The Peacegiver by James Ferrell (Dad)
34. The #1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (Mom)


9 Comments:

At Thursday, March 16, 2006 at 11:08:00 AM MST, Blogger Cassie said...

I don't know if you want to get into the Lemony Snicket Series. Its not really that good. Well, it starts to get good around book six. But I have all of them if you want to borrow them well except the last book which is still coming out.

 
At Thursday, March 16, 2006 at 11:19:00 AM MST, Blogger Alyson said...

I just wanted to read one. I thought that if I really liked it, I would read the rest after my challenge. I thought it would be a fairly easy book, and I've always thought about reading them. I still think I'll read one, but if I end up with more than 50 books maybe I'll take that one off. Thanks for the tip.

 
At Thursday, March 16, 2006 at 1:39:00 PM MST, Blogger julie said...

I couldn't help but notice that you allowed yourself to suggest more than one book. I think that's kink of unfair. :)

 
At Thursday, March 16, 2006 at 2:53:00 PM MST, Blogger Alyson said...

Julie,
It's my list and I can do want I want with it. JK. In my original post I said that I had a few books that I wanted to add myself, and that was one of the reasons that I originally limited everyone else to only one book. However, in my second post I said everyone could suggest one or two. If you would like to suggest more, I'll gladly put them on my list. Plus, technically I took two of yours even though I credited one to Cassie. I almost took both of Cassie's suggestion, but I think Jen might suggest Memoirs of a Geisha, so I figured I leave that one for her.

 
At Thursday, March 16, 2006 at 3:35:00 PM MST, Blogger Booklogged said...

I think you should read, at least, one Lemony Snicket. They're pretty cute. I read up to book six and decided that was enough, but after Cassie said they got better after book six maybe I better read one more.

 
At Monday, March 20, 2006 at 1:31:00 PM MST, Blogger Cassie said...

Well since Aly gave me the go ahead I think I will start another blog soon about the books I am or have read this year. I have read five so far. That's pretty good, of course only a few were hard. I don't really have a challenge for myself. I think I'll just see how many books I read this year and then make a challenge for next year. My roommate is amazed at your challenge Aly, she has challenged herself to read 25 books.

 
At Monday, March 20, 2006 at 5:23:00 PM MST, Blogger Alyson said...

Cassie,
Which roommate, T. or L.? I don't know how impressive my 50 books will actually be. I plan to listen to a few on tape and throw a few easier/shorter ones in the mix, so it won't be too hard. I also don't know if I'll actually make it :), but I'm going to try.

 
At Monday, April 17, 2006 at 10:47:00 AM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've never read Catcher in the Rye?!? Have you read any Salinger? If not, I'd suggest reading Franny and Zooey, as I think that's his best.

 
At Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 8:45:00 AM MDT, Blogger Unknown said...

You should read The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home