Sunday, March 19, 2006

#1 The King of Torts

by John Grisham

Okay, so I kind of cheated with this one. I listened to it on my drive to and from Salt Lake this past weekend. I didn't want to waste 6 hours of good reading time, so I checked out a book on CD from the library. It's not my favorite way to "read" a book because it's harder to keep track of some of the supporting characters.

I've read many John Grisham books and really enjoyed them. This one was not my favorite, but it was still pretty good. I found it a little predictable. When the main character, Clay, was on top of the world (making big money, winning all his cases, living the high life) at the middle of the book, I knew that by the end he would probably lose everything and be right back where he started, or close to it. I was right. There were also a few things that bothered me. There were a couple of characters that I wondered about at the end of the book. There was a man who gave Clay tips about great tort cases to persue. He disappered never to be heard from again. Also, there was foreshadowing about a girl Clay was dating; there was something mysterious about her, she had secrets. Nothing more ever came of that and I thought that was odd. The story was still enjoyable, but all-in-all it was not a book I would highly recommend.

2 Comments:

At Monday, March 20, 2006 at 6:59:00 AM MST, Blogger Booklogged said...

Thanks for the review. I guess I won't bother with that one.

 
At Tuesday, March 21, 2006 at 2:04:00 PM MST, Blogger julie said...

This wasn't one of my favorite Grisham novels, but I liked it. It's been awhile since I read it, so I couldn't remember all the things you said you didn't like. The thoughts that remain after all this time are that I think the tort system needs a serious overhaul and that I never want to get caught up in money like he did - I'd want to be like his collegues at the beginning who took the money and stopped.

I wish I would have thought to get a book on CD. I enjoyed listening to music and singing loudly, but a story would have been even better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home