Thursday, April 20, 2006

#5 Pride and Prejudice

by Jane Austen

What an amazing book!! This will definitely go on my favorite books list (the one that only exists in my head right now). I already knew the basic plot, but I still found myself wanting to find out what happens next. There's a good line in the book that describes this perfectly. Elizabeth is reading a letter from Mr. Darcy and this is how her reading the letter is described, "She read, with an eagerness which hardly left her power of comprehension, and from impatience of knowing what the next sentence might bring, was incapable of attending to the sense of the one before her eyes". Okay, I wasn't quite that bad. I did take enough time to comprehend what I was reading, but I still couldn't wait to read the next sentence.

Another quote from the book that I thouroughly enjoyed was when Elizabeth is descibing the love that Mr. Bingley felt for her sister Jane. "I never saw a more promising inclination. He was growing quite inattentive to other people, and wholly engrossed by her. Every time they met, it was more decided and remarkable. At his own ball he offended two or three young ladies, by not asking them to dance, and I spoke to him twice myself, withough receiving and answer. Could there be finer symptoms? Is not general incivility the very essence of love?" The last line was the part I liked the most.

I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone! It is definitely a classic. Now I just need to watch the movie to see how good it is.

5 Comments:

At Saturday, April 22, 2006 at 11:48:00 PM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm definitely going to have to read this again. I was in eighth grade and, sad to say, I remember nothing.

 
At Sunday, April 23, 2006 at 3:39:00 PM MDT, Blogger julie said...

I LOVE this book! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Movies: I LOVE the A&E version. It's like watching the book and Colin Firth is fantastic as Mr. Darcy. I was pleasantly surprised with the new version. It leaves a lot out/adds a scene or two, but overall it was okay. I think I'm in love with Mr. Darcy - not the actors who portray him, but the "actual" Mr. Darcy - because it doesn't matter who plays him or in what version, I fall madly in love with every Mr. Darcy. I wonder if there is a real-life version of Mr. Darcy out there? sigh.

 
At Sunday, April 23, 2006 at 4:53:00 PM MDT, Blogger Booklogged said...

I guess I'm going to have to succumb to the pressure and read it, too. I just started another comfy mystery, so it will have to wait until I finish that one. Actually, I'm in such a depression fog right now, I probably wouldn't be able to follow the storyline.

Good review, Aly. I like the two quotes, especially the first one about anticipating what's ahead so we miss what's happening in the here and now.

 
At Monday, April 24, 2006 at 9:21:00 PM MDT, Blogger Alyson said...

Julie, I think I'm in love with Mr. Darcy as well. I remember thinking at the end of the book that I wish I could find someone like that. Someone who would do anything for me, even if he thought I hated him, and that we would never be together.

Of course, I don't want to find someone that will do anything for me that I really do dislike, because that might be creapy.

 
At Friday, April 28, 2006 at 12:26:00 PM MDT, Blogger Cassie said...

I loved this book as well. I love almost all those books from that time period but this one tops the list. Mr. Darcy is the epitomy of a MAN. Yep I'm in love with him too. Hopefully there are three of them out there for us or there could be trouble.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home