Tuesday, July 17, 2007

#39 Brother Odd

by Dean Koontz
I guess this really is the summer of thirds, because this is the third book in the Odd Thomas Series. Odd Thomas sees dead people, but this series is nothing like Sixth Sense. Odd decides to spend some time in a mission to get away from the life of seeing the lingering dead and trying to prevent bad things from happening. Unfortunately, Odd starts seeing bodocks, supernatural beings that gather in greater and greater numbers as a tragedy looms closer. Odd is faced again with the task of figuring out what tragedy is coming and how to prevent it.

Writing this and the previous review on the same day, I've noticed a lot of similarities. Both are the third in a series, both have main characters with strange names, both characters were on a "vacation" from their normal lives, and both found they couldn't escape their normal lives. That's where the similarities edd. The books are actually quite different; so much so that I didn't even think they were similar until now.

I really enjoy the Odd Series. Koontz is an excellent author, and he really knows how to pull you into a story.

9 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 25, 2007 at 7:10:00 PM MDT, Blogger Framed said...

Someday I am going to read this series. I mooched the first one. I tried Thursday Next and couldn't get into it. Everyone seems to like that series so well that I may have to try again. But only when I get caught up.

 
At Tuesday, July 31, 2007 at 5:46:00 AM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard of this series before now, but it sounds interesting. Thanks for mentioning it.

 
At Monday, August 6, 2007 at 11:26:00 PM MDT, Blogger BookGal said...

I just read the third one without knowing it was a series. I've gone back to the first one but I wish I had read them in order.

 
At Wednesday, August 8, 2007 at 12:25:00 PM MDT, Blogger Booklogged said...

Hooray for Dean Koontz and the Odd Thomas series. I love them. It's so fun to know we've read several of the same books.

 
At Friday, September 14, 2007 at 9:55:00 PM MDT, Blogger alisonwonderland said...

i guess i'm going to have to try out this series. i keep hearing good things about it!

 
At Monday, November 19, 2007 at 9:01:00 AM MST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out of all the Koontz books, this is one of my favorites.

 
At Friday, January 11, 2008 at 12:25:00 PM MST, Blogger chelsea said...

I am not a Koontz fan, but picked up Odd Thomas at work when I had nothing else to read. I was not blown away by it, but interested enough to read Forever Odd which I loved. Brother Odd was good, but I still think Forever was the best.

 
At Thursday, April 3, 2008 at 12:44:00 PM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally enjoy these kinds of supernatural, fantastical books. Kindly review a few more of this type.
Altough I'd highly recommend the Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis as a great read for those who want to go into a parallel world. The author's imagination and creativity never cease to amaze me. Although most might think that they are for children.,I think most adults would also enjoy reading them. In fact, Disney is coming up with the latest Narnia movie-Prince Caspian, this May 16th. It promises to be awesome by the looks of the trailor. Catch the trailor here- http://www.disney.in

 
At Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 9:47:00 PM MDT, Blogger J Scott Savage said...

I'm a big Dean Koontz fan. But I don't love all his books. I really liked the first Odd book, didn't like the second as much, and thought the third was good. Life Expectancy is probably still my favorite. How can you not like a book with a killer clown?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home