Saturday, April 29, 2006

#8 The Giver

by Lois Lowry

This book had me hooked from the very first page. I really enjoyed the entire story and couldn't wait to find out what happened. The story is about a boy named Jonas who lives in a community that is perfect. There are no locked doors, no crime, and no real pain to speak of. When people get old they are "released" from the community with a celebration. The boy lives well not knowing that there is much more feeling in the world; including color. He is chosen to be the receiver which means that he will receive all the memories of the entire world. He is responsible for those memories so they won't be lost, but also so the rest of the community won't have to deal with them. As he receives each memory he learns new and wonderful things like colors, snow, and love; but he also learns about war, heartache, and pain. That's all I'm going to write about the storyline. If you want to find out what happends you'll have to read it for yourself. It comes highly recommended from myself, as well as my little sister and mother. It's a short, easy read, but well worth it.

4 Comments:

At Monday, May 1, 2006 at 10:41:00 AM MDT, Blogger Cassie said...

I would just like to commend you on your effort so far. 8 books in two months is quite impressive.

I love the Giver. Its a book that I have given as gifts if I know the person hasn't read it. I remember when my middle school teacher read it to us in class. It was probably the first book I read that had the connotation of people wanting to blind themselves from all the horrors of the world but in so doing also blind themselves to all the beauty in the world since you can't have one without the other.

 
At Monday, May 1, 2006 at 1:47:00 PM MDT, Blogger Booklogged said...

I agree with both of you - I thought this book was wonderful, too. I hope you'll go on to read Gathering Blue and Messenger. They are probably considers sequels, but Gathering Blue takes place in the same time period only at a different location.

 
At Monday, May 1, 2006 at 1:55:00 PM MDT, Blogger julie said...

I love the Giver, too. It's so poignant and thought-provoking. A couple girls in my french class told me about Gathering Blue and Messenger. They sound great! Thank heavens that I have the rest of my life to read because there are so many books I want to read.

 
At Tuesday, May 2, 2006 at 8:20:00 PM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this book also but had forgotten. We discussed it at the library book club and I thought some people were reaching in their interpretations. Anyway, I did enjoy the book and now I will have to add the other two to my list. It sure is getting long, especially since i keep straying from it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home