Tuesday, January 09, 2007

#19 The Eyre Affair

by Jasper Fforde

This was a thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining book. The setting is England in 1985, but it's more of a futuristic time when some people have strange powers; such as time traveling or walking through walls. The main character is Thursday Next, a detective in Special Ops (SO) 27. SO 27 is the literary detective office and they spend most of their time finding and arresting people who make forgeries of original manuscripts and changes to classic novels.

The book is full of fun characters like Thursday's dad, a fugitive who can travel through time and pops in occasionally to talk to his daughter; Spike, an SO agent who hunts vampires and werewolves; and Thursday's uncle, a scientist who invented a prose portal that allows people to enter books and poems.

The antagonist in the book is Acheron Hades, a mastermind criminal who is virtually superhuman (and who was once a professor of Thursday's). He has stolen the original manuscript of Jane Eyre and kidnapped Thursday's uncle. Thursday ends up at the center of the investigation and actually enters Jane Eyre in search of Hades.

This book has lots of action and interesting ideas. It had me thinking of places I needed to go just so I could drive around a bit and listen to it. Plus, it gave me a strong desire to read or reread many of the classic novels mentioned in the course of the story. I would highly recommend this book!!

2 Comments:

At Friday, January 19, 2007 at 3:03:00 PM MST, Blogger Booklogged said...

This is a good review. I enjoyed hearing you talk about this book so much that I am listening to it on tape. I think it was a bit easier understanding what was going on while reading it. This will work for a reread, though. Very fun book

 
At Friday, January 19, 2007 at 7:05:00 PM MST, Blogger Framed said...

I tried reading this once and it didn't connect. I'll have to give it another go sometime. I like the idea for the story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home