Sunday, August 06, 2006

#15 The #1 Ladies' Detective Agency

by Alexander McCall Smith

This was an okay book. It's about a woman, Mma Ramotzwe, in Botswana that opens her own detective agency. It is the first in the series, so it tells a little about her life and then tells about a few adventures she has trying to be private detective. Some of the cases were amusing, but I don't think I will read anymore in this series. I listened to this book on CD while driving to Ogden and back. The thing I liked best about the book was listening to the accent of the narrator. It was interesting hearing how she pronounced different words. It was also interesting hearing about things from the point of view of a native of Botswana. I would probably not recommend this book.

8 Comments:

At Sunday, August 6, 2006 at 3:06:00 PM MDT, Blogger Booklogged said...

I liked the matter-of-fact way Mma Ramotzwe looks at life; it's so honest and unadorned. And I liked what she had to say about 'tradionally built' women.

 
At Monday, August 7, 2006 at 7:34:00 PM MDT, Blogger Framed said...

Am I a traditionally built woman?
Alyson, thanks for the review. I think I will concentrate on reading other worthy books.

 
At Monday, August 7, 2006 at 7:45:00 PM MDT, Blogger Booklogged said...

Framed, I think you would really like the first 2-3 books in this series. They are great for listening to while traveling.

 
At Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 7:09:00 AM MDT, Blogger Joy said...

Hi! My name is Joy (thoughtsofjoyblog.blogspot) and I have been browsing and enjoying your blog. I was wondering if I could add you to my list of Favorite Sites? I will not do it until you respond. :)

Happy Reading!

 
At Monday, August 14, 2006 at 10:34:00 AM MDT, Blogger Joy said...

THANK YOU! :)

 
At Monday, September 4, 2006 at 7:06:00 AM MDT, Blogger Joy said...

Hi...just thought I'd stop by again and discovered that you're still not here. :( I hope all is well and look forward to reading more of your book reviews.

 
At Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 2:35:00 PM MST, Blogger Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I recently read this book also, and was undecided about it. I gave the second one a try, and they started to grow on me. I did read them though, and not listen to them as an audiobook. I sort of think of each chapter as like a little story, so they are easy to pick up and put down and read in short bursts. I've now read 3 of this series, and plan to read more of them. You might not want to abandon them completely, I do think they grow on you with time :)

Have a great day!

 
At Friday, December 1, 2006 at 9:48:00 AM MST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I had the same reaction as you to these books. They were amusing, but I don't understand the reason for their popularity. There's some sort of "oopmh" that's missing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home