Sunday, May 21, 2006

#10 I Heard the Owl Call My Name

by Margaret Craven

It took me a little longer to get into this book than some others. It is a slower moving book, but this story wouldn't work at a faster pace. The reader learns about the traditions and lives of a remote tribe of indians, the Kwakiutl, through the eyes of a terminally ill vicar who is sent to serve amoung them. The vicar doesn't know he is terminally ill, but the bishop does. The bishop sends the vicar to this assignment knowing that he will learn the most in the short time he has left. He learns of lonliness, sadness, and the tribe's traditions by living with the indians. He is accepted by them as family. He also learns of death. In the tribe it is an accepted part of life. They are sad when they lose someone they love, but they accept it as part of the cycle of life. One of their beliefs is that the owl will call your name when your time is close. There is a lot of meaningful quotes in this book, but one stood out the most.

A girl named Keetah has just returned from the white man's world. She went to school for a short time in that world, but returned because it wasn't the world she knew. The boy she was bethroved to, Gordon, also was going to school in that world. He was changed by this experience, and she knew that he would stay there and not return to the village. Of this she says, "I have lost my sister to death. I have lost Gordon to life, and this is harder."

9 Comments:

At Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 12:22:00 PM MDT, Blogger Booklogged said...

I listened to this book while taking a personal retreat to Denver a few years ago. Really a good book. I like that quote, too.

 
At Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 2:15:00 PM MDT, Blogger Framed said...

This is on my list to read. Do you have the library's only copy of it? I looked last time I was there but no luck. Since I have so many on my list, it didn't take long to find something else. Some books just sound most interesting than others. If I keep that up, I will read all the interesting-sounding books first and be left with books I'm not sure I really want to bother with. It's a conundrum. (Great word)

 
At Monday, May 22, 2006 at 10:46:00 AM MDT, Blogger Cassie said...

"conundrum" that is one of my favorite words. This book is probably one I could skip. It sounds a little depressing, not that I don't enjoy a good sob story now and then but I probably won't read it in the near future if ever.

 
At Monday, May 22, 2006 at 12:00:00 PM MDT, Blogger Booklogged said...

Framed, by the time you finish the books with good titles they will have published thousands more books, some of which will have good titles. The problem I have is that the library doesn't have the good sounding titles!

 
At Monday, May 22, 2006 at 12:01:00 PM MDT, Blogger Booklogged said...

Aly, I'm envious that you get to read through the pages of Odd Thomas for the first time. What a treat!

 
At Monday, May 22, 2006 at 4:36:00 PM MDT, Blogger Booklogged said...

I used 'conundrum' on my latest post! Thanks for the great word.

 
At Monday, May 22, 2006 at 9:29:00 PM MDT, Blogger Framed said...

"Odd Thomas" is a great name for a book. I may have to add it to the list since I've never read Dean Koontz.

 
At Monday, April 2, 2007 at 8:06:00 PM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG a good book i have 2 say sort of kind of maybe I read it with my class and I H8 it in the beginning then i got in2 it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 7:48:00 AM MST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this book. It was quite beautiful, and a pleasure to read. Not a sob story - an enlightening one. One of truth and honesty and nature. Really wonderful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home