Sunday, January 07, 2007

Classics Challenge

I know I've been absent for a while, and probably won't get my fifty books read in a year, but I have a good excuse. I started school and haven't had time to read. I do have three books that I've listened to on tape that I need to post about, so look for them soon. Anyway, I've come up with a new plan for reading; although some might consider it not reading, it's the best I can do right now. I have about a 40 minute commute to school everyday (that's roundtrip) and it may be longer depending on traffic. My new plan is to listen to books on tape everyday during my commute.

Since I feel I will now be able to finish five classics before the end of February, I've decided to join Booklogged's Winter Classics Challenge. Here is the list of classics I plan to "read".

1. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
2. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
3. The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy
4. Silas Marner by George Elliott (aka Mary Ann Evans)
5. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Some of these may change depending on weather I can check them out at the library. I have checked, and they have them all on CD, but some are checked out, on hold, etc... I have Silas Marner already and will begin it during tomorrow's commute.

2 Comments:

At Sunday, January 7, 2007 at 10:47:00 PM MST, Blogger Booklogged said...

Oh, Alyson, I'm so happy you are able to do this. I totally understood why you couldn't, but it's so cool now that you can. I take it you finished The Eyre Affair?

I would suggest that you read Ethan Fromme first, because I've heard it was depressing. I think listening to books counts. I'm listening to Silas Marner right now - just started. We can compare notes.

 
At Saturday, January 13, 2007 at 12:29:00 PM MST, Blogger Framed said...

I loved Little Women and Jane Eyre, haven't read Sila Marner or Sense & Sensibility (saw the movie and liked it). I'm reading The Scarlet Pimpernel for the Classics challenge sometime. It will be fun to see what you think of these five.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home