Tuesday, January 23, 2007

#21 Scarlet Pimpernel

By Baroness Orczy

Classics Challenge #2

This is my second book for the Classics Winter Challenge, hosted by Booklogged. I chose this book because I’ve seen the movie (albeit only once and over a year ago) and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the book at least as much, if not more. As all of my recent books, I listened to this book on tape while driving to and from school. It took almost an entire CD for me to really get into it. I’m not sure if I was distracted for the first CD, or if just wasn’t as enthralling as the other 6.

The story is one of adventure, love, loyalty, and trust. The Scarlet Pimpernel is the alias for an English gentleman who aids aristocrats fleeing for their lives from the revolutionary French Bourgeoisie. The wife of the Scarlet Pimpernel, not knowing her husband’s secret identity, aids the French villain in discovering who the Scarlet Pimpernel is in order to save her brother’s life. When she discovers what she has done, she entangles herself in danger in an attempt to warn her husband of his impending doom and to prove her love for him.

I only listen to the CDs in my car, and I actually went out a couple of times this weekend to just drive around and listen to the story. I’ve done that with a few other books as well, but it doesn’t happen with every book I listen to. If you’ve seen the movie; you should still read this book. If you haven’t seen the movie, you should read the book and then watch the movie. They are both well worth the time.

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 4:02:00 PM MST, Blogger Cassie said...

I think this one is on my list but I will have to check and add it if it is not. I love the movie so I think the book will be even better.

 
At Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 9:02:00 PM MST, Blogger Amy said...

Hi Alyson,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I am still looking forward to watching my BBC P&P. My daughter and I haven't gottne to it yet but soon!

I have Scarlet Pimpernel on my TBR list. I am looking forward to reading it!

 
At Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 9:40:00 PM MST, Blogger Booklogged said...

I haven't read it, but absolutely love the movie. There are at least 2 versions, my favorite is the London Film with Jane Seymour and Anthony Andrews. Katie is forcing me to mention that Ian McKellen (Gandolf in Lord of the Rings) is in it also. We watched the BBC version and didn't like it as well. Someday we need to see the Broadway production - the songs are beautiful.

You are doing really well on the classics challenge. I've started Madame Bovary and Alice in Wonderland. Two, because Alice is too big to carry with me.

 
At Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 7:55:00 PM MST, Blogger Framed said...

This is on my Classics Challenge as well. I am almost finished with The Hound of the Baskervilles, but I need to read one for the TBR Challenge. It's amazing I get anything done. If I could just quit my job.

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2007 at 12:21:00 AM MDT, Blogger Mellowdrama said...

Hi there
Gosh there are only so few ppl I know who have read the Scarlet Pimpernel - I love that book!! "We seek him here, we seek him there..." Stumbled across your blog thru Lotus Reads and was delighted to see another book fiend! I love reading and my classic heroes range from Bronte to Wilkie Collins and a whole lot of others squeezed in between:) Shall definitely be checking out your site more often...it's a treat, especially since many of my posts deal with who reading is dying a gradual death! Cheers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home