Friday, February 23, 2007

#22 Little Women

by Louisa May Alcott

Classics Challenge #3

I excessively enjoyed listening to this book. I've always meant to read it, but had never gotten around to it. I saw the movie along time ago, so I knew some of the things that were going to happen, but I didn't remember everything. I am glad that I knew about one sad thing that would take place, because it allowed me to not cry while driving.

I'm not going to tell about the story because I'm sure most everyone knows the basics. There were many touching moments and many triumphant moments. The ending was great because everyone found they were happy and contented with the life they had and didn't need all the things they dreamed about as girls.

One thing I didn't know, this was a semi-autobiography by Alcott. Jo is actually herself. I'm not sure how much is fictitious and how much is truth, but it was interesting to find out that it was at least partly based on her own life. This book comes highly recommended by me for anyone out there who hasn't read it.

4 Comments:

At Friday, February 23, 2007 at 10:42:00 PM MST, Blogger Booklogged said...

This is one I've never read. Sounds like I need to make a point of reading it someday.

 
At Saturday, February 24, 2007 at 4:30:00 PM MST, Blogger Cassie said...

I think I'll be okay sticking with the movie version. I'm sure the book is great but you've seen my list

 
At Sunday, February 25, 2007 at 5:57:00 PM MST, Blogger Framed said...

I just saw the musical "Little Women" at the Hale Centre Theater. It was so good and quite different from the movie. Well, yeah, the movie wasn't a musical. But I read the book so long that most of what I remember is what I've seen in the movie versions.

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2007 at 11:17:00 PM MDT, Blogger Tristi Pinkston said...

You're going to get sick of me posting so many times, but you're hitting some of my favorite favs!! Little Women is one book that I've read over and over and over again. As far as it being about Louisa, indeed, it is. There never was a Laurie, though, and no professor, either. In fact, in my other life as a media reviews blogger, I wrote a review on her if you'd like to see it. Here are teh links: http://media.families.com/blog/author-review-louisa-may-alcott

http://media.families.com/blog/author-review-louisa-may-alcott-part-two

I was so sad to learn that she never married. I love her writing so much and I want everyone to live happily ever after!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home